Header Random

Thursday 16 July 2009

The Open Championship - Day 1

Just a quick update on the tips I gave you yesterday. Here's how my selections have gotten on after the first round at Turnberry.

Hunter Mahan @ 34
Mahan had a nightmare start today, playing the first 12 holes in +3. Despite a double bogey on the 15th, he fought back well near the end of his round. I can see him moving up the leaderboard tomorrow - but he has to.

Now available @ 170.


Graeme McDowell @ 85

McDowell shot an impressive 68 today, leaving him on -2. A victim of the tricky 16th, he could be even higher up the leaderboard but the Northerner knows this. Out at a tricky time weather-wise tomorrow though. Needs to be sharp.

Now available @ a very tasty 60.



Soren Hansen @ 140

Statistically my best tip interms of odds improvement, Hansen also shot a 68. It was a round that could have been better - he played the last six holes in three over par. Nonetheless, the Swede is a contender heading into the weekend.

Now available @ 80


David Duval @ 150

David Duval only hit 6/14 fairways, but he drove the ball long and his putting was fine. His +1 today shouldn't rule him out of contention at all, but like many others he needs a better Friday.

Now available @ 300.


Padraig Harrington @46

A 69 for the two-time defending champion, hence a shortening of his odds. But I didn't like what I saw from the Dubliner today. He seemed timid and lacking confidence. I shall be laying him immeadiately.

Now available @ 27.



A couple of other comments. I was very impressed with Ryo Ishikawa. The 17-year-old didn't flinch under the spotlight of being with Woods. He won't win this weekend, but he did well>

Woods didn't. He was shaky throughout and punters who backed him at such low odds must be regretting that now. He's now available at 6.6 on Betfair. I wouldn't, but there's a little bit of value there if he handles tomorrow's high winds.

Does anyone care about the Lyle/Monty spat? Didn't think so.

And I know I didn't tip them, but I'd just like to point out that the other golfers I named yesterday (O'Hair, Villegas and McIlroy) all had decent outings today. Let's hope they don't fall into the 'ones that got away' pile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment